Why make the effort to step foot in a church?
You can watch pastors on TV or download a sermon on Sunday morning, so why get tangled up with a group of people? Isn’t Jesus enough?
- Following Jesus is not easy, and God did not intend for us to do it alone. We need encouragement and occasionally a course correction, from people who love us and are committed to our good.
- Jesus gave His mission to a group.
And the Apostle Paul tells us each believer in Christ is a part of the body of Christ, who carry out Christ’s mission together. (1 Corinthians 12)
- God uses the local church to teach people to know and obey him. God has chosen to make Himself know to the world through the church. (1 Peter 2:9)
The Church Works Together To:
- Spread the Gospel. When Christ ascended to heaven he gave his followers a mission to complete. “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you…” (Matthew 28:19-20a).
- Uphold the Gospel. The church’s job is to preserve and teach the gospel across generations (2 Timothy 1:13, Titus 1:9, 2 Timothy 3:16).
- Live Cross-Centered Lives. As a church, we live empowered by God’s forgiveness and resting in Christ’s work on the cross.